Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

My Grandpa Invented the Emoticon

Al Gore may have invented the internet (so he said during the 2000 presidential campaign), then my grandfather, John Stearns Percival,  invented the emoticon.

I'm serious. And he did this LONG before Al Gore invented the internet. I'll even put a date on it, although it is entirely possible that this emoticon was invented before this date, it is the first time I see it.

Nope, not in the 21st century. Not in the 1990's or the 1980's but long before that.

My grandfather invented the Emoticon on September 18, 1917.

The first example I see of it is thus:

My dearest Mary:- 

Click on the image to see it! So, see, he did!

Copyright 2010, ACK for Gene Notes

6 comments:

  1. Emoticons and beautiful cursive writing. Oh, how I long for the days of beautifully handwritten letters, much more romantic than a text or email. :>

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, there are times I can't tell the word are from one and me from we, but it isn't too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So that's what...a guy with a long nose?

    ReplyDelete
  4. But if you look at it from another angle it looks like a surprised face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! I love reading historical letters. As a matter of fact I just finished a great book of them Dear Bob, Dear Betty , from the great depression. A great read for any lover of family history.

    ReplyDelete