Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Friday, April 16, 2010

That Stubborn Streak and Other Family Traits!

I will admit that my family has a stubborn streak. Even my kids inherited it, although they come by it from both sides of their family.

In transcribing my grandfather's letters, I am discovering he was pretty single minded himself and stubborn too. It was kind of a relief, because my dad did remember his mother and always said she was a real lady. She may have had a stubborn streak, but it wasn't evident in anything I have ever read.

My point? My dad was really stubborn and according to his recounting, was expelled from the local public schools in Detroit for fighting. So to see evidence that his father was somewhat stubborn explains a lot.

Grandpa was also single-minded in his love for my grandmother and in that too, my father was like his father. Once my parents met, my dad was determined to marry my mother and he did. I don't think the families thought it would last, my mother being Catholic and my father not. My dad eventually converted and my parents were together almost 57 years before my dad passed.

I wish more letters from Grandma had survived, there are only about five. Those date from Grandpa taking the job in Detroit and getting settled in there. I can't wait to get to them.

Copyright 2010, ACK for Gene Notes

5 comments:

  1. Being stubborn is a good trait to have if you're going to research your family's history. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely an asset, but I call that persistence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to read the transcriptions when you've finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thinking about printing up a booklet when I am done. Not sure if I am going to include the images or not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to see the transcriptions too and also a letter or two.

    ReplyDelete