Gene Notes

Some random and some not-so-random thoughts on family history.

Friday, September 9, 2011

Kentucky Wills, The Will of Elijah Chinn

Elijah Chinn was my great-great-great-great granduncle. His father was Charles Downman Chinn and one of his brothers was William Ball Chinn. Elijah married Elizabeth or Betsy Smith in Fauquier county, Virginia (Yes, they were the subject of this week's Wedding Wednesday). They had twelve children.  All but one were named in the will, Francis, who preceded both parents in death. And his married daughters are mentioned by their married names, which is nice.

I Elijah Chinn of Harrison county, Ky, being of sound mind and memory, and calling to mind the mortality of the body; and knowing it appointed for all men bred to die, do make and ordain this my last will and testament in manner and form following Viz;

First, I give and bequeath to my beloved wife Elizabeth the use of one third of my plantation on which I now live, consisting of fifty acres of land, including the dwelling house and all other houses, also one gig and horse, and one third part of my personal estate.

2nd, I give and bequeath unto my son George Chinn fifty acres of land on my north line, including the plantation on which he now lives. Also one bed and furniture; all of which he has now in possession to him and his heirs forever.

3rd, I give and bequeath unto my daughter Betsey Smith and her bodily heirs during her life, and at her death to her bodily heirs, one negro woman named Dorcus, and her increase, also one bed and furniture, of which she has now in possession.

4th, I give and bequeath unto my son William Chinn one negro man named Elijah, also one bed and furniture , one horse and saddle to him and his heirs forever.

5th, I give and bequeath unto my son Rawleigh S. Chinn fifteen acres of land. Also one negro boy named Dick, together with one bed and furniture one horse and saddle to him and his heirs forever and I do further order and direct that the remaining part of my estate, which is coming to my son Rawleigh at my decease shall be equally divided between his living children, and it is my wish and request that their minority shall not stop the sale of any of my property at my death.

6th, I give and bequeath unto my daughter Lucy Chinn, and her bodily heirs, one negro woman named Winney, and her increase, also one bed and furniture, one horse and saddle, all of which she has in possession.

7th, I give and bequeath unto my daughter Sarah Johnson, and her bodily heirs during her life and at her death to her bodily heirs - one negro woman named Fanny and her increase, also one bed and furniture, one horse and saddle, all of which she has now in possession.

8th, I give and bequeath unto my daughter Catherine Hardwick, and her bodily heirs during her life, and at her death to her bodily heirs, one negro woman named Silvey, and her increase, also one bed and furniture, one horse and saddle, all of which she has now possession.

9th, I give and bequeath unto my son Charles Chinn, one negro woman named Charlotte and her increase, also one bed and furniture, one horse and saddle to him and his heirs forever.

10th, I give and bequeath unto my daughter Nancy Murdock and her bodily heirs during her life, and at her death to her bodily heirs, one negro woman named Hannah and her increase also one bed and furniture, one horse and saddle all of which they have in possession.

11th, I give and bequeath unto my son Elijah Chinn one negro woman named Maria and her increase, also one bed and furniture, one horse and saddle all of which he has now in his possession to him and his heirs forever.

12th, I give and bequeath unto my son James S. Chinn, one negro man named Andrew - also one bed and furniture, one horse and saddle, all of which he has now in possession, to him and his heirs forever.

13. I give and bequeath unto my two grandsons, Francis Chinn and John Hardwick, each a horse to be worth fifty Dollars. And I do further order and direct, that if my decease should take place before my wife, the two remaining thirds of my estate shall be equally divided between all my children and in case of the death of any, I direct that it may be equally divided between their heirs and I do further order and direct that at the decease of my wife, her third or Dower shall be equally divided between all my children or their heirs. In testimony where I have hereunto set my hand and seal this                in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty five.    --  Elijah Chinn --- {Seal}

Attest

Benjamin Cummins
William Anderson
        Commonwealth of Kentucky Harrison county Set

                    April Term 1836

 I Samuel Endicott, Clerk of the county Court for the county aforesaid do certify, that this last will and testament of Elijah Chinn deceased was produced at the above court, and being proven by the oaths of Benjamin Cummins and William Anderson submitting witnesses thereto and was ordered to be recorded which is done this 17th day of April 1836.          S. Endicott clk, H.C.




Copyright 2011, ACK for Gene Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment